Do vaginal itching, pain during urination or white cottage like discharge bother you a lot? These annoying symptoms could be caused by vaginal yeast infections. If you don’t want to rely on pharmaceutical drugs to address the Candida infection, home treatments are available.
Why Use Yeast Infection Home Treatments?
There are reasons why you should choose non-conventional remedies over standard medications. You don’t have to rely on pharmaceutical drugs unless it is necessary.
1. Self-treating yourself at home is easier and more cost effective than the over the counter or prescribed medicines. Home remedies are likely to be milder and safer than drugs.
2. You can end up in a vicious cycle of relying on over the counter medications because they don’t treat the root cause of Candida infection. Almost certainly, you will deal with another bout in a near future. This can be frustrating. If you have experienced disappointing results with mainstream medicine, it is about time to look at holistic methods.
3. You may react adversely to the ingredients found in conventional medicines for Candidiasis. Over the counter remedies for Candida infections like vaginal creams usually contain mineral oil. It is a cheap material which acts as a lubricant. The problems with mineral oil is that it clogs your pores and make your cells less effective to flush out toxins.
Another common ingredient found in over the counter yeast infection treatments like suppositories is propylene glycol. Many personal care products use this ingredient. Moreover, solvents for paints, plastics and laundry detergents and antifreeze and de-icing solutions for boats, cars, and aircraft contain propylene glycol.
Propylene glycol can trigger an allergic response upon contact. It irritates the mucous membranes, which can leave you with scaling, burning, hives, contact dermatitis, and itchiness.
The other danger is that it can increase the penetration of other chemicals into your skin. There is a risk of some of these chemicals entering your bloodstream.
One study reveals that propylene glycol may change your DNA. Furthermore, the Japanese researchers have found that it is toxic and it can damage cell DNA.
It is entirely up to you what you put into your body. It is a fact that many women experience serious reaction to the additives, fragrances, and chemicals used in nearly all over the counter products for yeast infections. Some women stop using standard medications after they realized that their chronic Candidiasis is caused by the chemicals found in pharmaceutical products.
If you take a close look at the health warnings on the packaging of the medications, you would give a second thought about using conventional treatments. And it makes sense to try natural remedies first.
4. Any remedies that use herbs are effective. If you use them properly, they can be a good option to treat vaginal thrush. At the same time, you can avoid the side effects that are so prevalent with doctor-recommended therapies.
The mainstream medical treatment does not support the use of natural remedies. If you read any article on holistic approach, many times you will see something like “lack of scientific studies or medical evidence”, showing lack of confidence in natural treatments.
Ironically, you can find many degree programs in naturopathy offered by a number of higher learning institutes. So what does this tell you? Natural healing is not something new. It has been practiced for ages. The knowledge of using natural remedies is no longer in the dark. That is why universities are making it available as one of their educational programs.
Unlike antibiotics which can cause drug resistance, bacteria do not develop resistance to herbal medicine. As a matter of fact, there is nothing mentioned in the history that botanical extracts for medicinal purposes can develop super bugs. With this in mind, the abuse of antifungal drugs can develop bacteria with increased tolerance towards medications.
Based on these reasons alone, you should agree with me that the best treatment for Candida infection is home remedies.
When You Should Not Use Home Treatments For Yeast Infections
There are times when you should avoid home remedies.
- If you are pregnant, you should see your doctor first and get your vaginal symptoms examined. You may have bacterial vaginosis or other sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea, or chlamydia. They may cause complications during your pregnancy,
- If you experience vaginal discomforts for the first time, it may not be caused by Candida overgrowth. Getting a proper diagnosis can clear your doubts about what you have down there. Remember other vaginitis such as bacterial vaginosis or sexually transmitted diseases share similar symptoms.
- If your yeast infection is recurring, then you should not self-treat. You need a thorough examination to understand why you keep having flare ups.
Are Yeast Infection Home Remedies Effective?
Let’s look at some common treatments that women use at home to treat their vaginal thrush.
The live culture in organic plain yogurt is an effective home remedy for a yeast infection. It works by increasing the acidic balance, making the environment less favorable for the yeast to flourish. It also increases the number of good bacteria to keep Candida under control.
Yogurt actually treats the infection besides providing the relief from intense itchiness and irritation in the vaginal area and mouth.
Candida lives in the mucous membranes in the body like your mouth and vagina. Though the site is different, but the mucous membranes on both locations are the same in terms of cellular and embryonic level. Moreover, the yeasts on both sites are no different at all.
How effective is yogurt? Unfortunately, I can’t find any medical studies on this subject. I don’t think any pharmaceutical companies would want to spend their resources to perform a study to evaluate the effectiveness of yogurt in yeast infection treatment.
So, what is available now is anecdotal evidences. This means you need to rely on other people’s experiences to gauge if yogurt works or not.
It is not a surprise to find many women who raves about the goodness of yogurt in forums. Simply because they find yogurt to be working and they want to share that experience with others who are struggling with Candida infections.
Vaginal Herbal Rinse
Some of you may confuse vaginal herbal bath with douching. They are not the same.
Your vagina can clean itself so you don’t need douching. In fact, you should never douche.
Many douching products that claim to keep your vagina fresh with sweet scent are often loaded with chemicals and fragrances. These chemicals can upset the pH balance in your vagina, which can aggravate the yeast infection.
However, it is a natural option to use a sterile prepared plant tincture for vaginal wash. It is safe to use as it is free from chemicals, fragrances and microorganisms. So, it does not cause any allergic reactions.
Herbal rinse is an effective option to treat vaginal thrush topically and minimize the inflammation of mucous membranes in the body.
Though many home remedies can treat vaginal thrush successfully, make sure that you actually have a yeast infection. By now, you should be more informed about the danger of chemicals found in pharmaceutical items. I hope natural remedies would be your first choice of yeast infection treatment.
You will accept any relief when you have a yeast infection. The best way to determine if home treatments will work for you is to try them first. Personal experience is your evidence. I can’t guarantee any one of them will work for you. Neither can the over the counter or the prescription.
The most important is that you try it first. If it does not work, then try another one. What you really want is to evaluate the options. When you have access to more options, you can make better decision on one that is right for you based on your preference.